Arlington Historical Society (photo of Arlington Historical Museum)

Join the Arlington Historical Society

Navigate to the Officers, Directors, and Committee Chairs section

Board - Officers, Directors, and Committee Chairs

Learn about events and places in Arlington’s history
  • Snapshots of history
  • Sites and properties
  • Magazine
  • Links to resources
  • Shop at our store and give a piece of Arlington to someone special

    Navigate to Today in History

    Today in History - Check Out Our New Feature


    You are here: Home > Learn > Sites and properties > Cemeteries

    Cemeteries

    BALL-CARLIN CEMETARY (1785) Map

    300 South Kensington Street

    Here between 1766 and 1908 were buried members of the Ball and Carlin families. In 1742 John Ball was granted 166 acres in this area and in 1748 his brother Moses Ball was granted 91 adjoining acres, now the site of Doctor’s Hospital. They were cousins of George Washington who acquired an adjoining tract along Four Mile Run in 1785. After John Ball’s death in 1766, his estate was sold to William Carlin who was one of Washington’s tailors. Fragments of the original Ball-Carlin log house are within the walls of the house at 5620 3rd Street South. About 1800 Carlin built a log house that still stands at 5512 North Carlin Springs Road. In present Glencarlyn Park his descendants operated “Carlin Springs”, a popular resort during 1872-1884.

    OLD BALL FAMILY BURIAL GROUND (1814) Map

    Washington Boulevard between North Lincoln Street and North Kirkwood Road

    This is one of Arlington’s oldest family burial grounds. Ensign John Ball (1748-1814), a veteran of the American Revolution (Sixth Virginia Infantry), is buried here. John Ball was the son of Moses Ball, who was one of the pioneer settlers in the Glencarlyn area of Arlington. Also buried in the cemetery are many of John Ball’s direct and collateral descendents, including John Wesley Boldin, a Civil War soldier (Company D, Third Pennsylvania Cavalry), and members of the Marcey, Stricker, Donaldson, and Croson families.

    SOUTHERN SHREVE CEMETERY Map

    Between North Frederick Street and North Harrison Street off of North 10th Street, behind St. Ann Catholic Church

    Five generations of the Southern, Shreve, and related families are interred in this burial plot. The Shreve family in Arlington dates from the arrival of Samuel Shreve from New Jersey about 1780. Shreve purchased a tract of land near Ballston in 1791. The earliest grave (1832) is that of John Redin (Sixth Continental Line), a veteran of the American Revolution. Redin’s daughter married Richard Southern.

    TRAVERS FAMILY GRAVEYARD (1830) Map

    1309 South Monroe Street

    John N. and Elizabeth Causin Travers established a 30-acre farm here in 1832, when Arlington was rural and had less than 15,500 inhabitants. Over the years the land was subdivided. Descendants and kin lived here, contributing to the life of Arlington into the 20th century. The graveyard on family land continued a burial tradition common in the rural south. At least 15 members of the related Travers, Whitehead, and Dyer families were interred here, including John N. Travers (d. 1837). His will asks that this space “bee reserved for a bury ground for the family on my west line nevour to bee parted with or tilled as long as eternity shall last.” In 1990 there were 15 marked and likely more unmarked graves.

    WALKER CHAPEL AND CEMETERY (1871)Map

    4102 North Glebe Road

    Walker Chapel, a small frame country church of the Mount Olivet Circuit, was dedicated at this location on July 18,1876. It was named in honor of the Walker family who donated the Walker Grave Yard as a site for the church. A new frame church was built nearby in 1903 although the original chapel structure continued in use as a Sunday School until its demolition in 1930. The present building dates from 1959. The earliest recorded burial in the adjacent cemetery was that of David Walker, who died in 1848.

    Arlington Historical Society
    P.O. Box 100402, Arlington, Virginia 22210-3402

    Send us e-mail at info@ArlingtonHistoricalSociety.org or give us a ring at 703/892-4204.

    Subscribe to our e-mail announcement list:
    (follow Yahoo sign-up instructions)

    Your name and e-mail address will NOT be used for anything but AHS meeting and event announcements. See our Privacy Policy for more detail.