Arlington Historical Society (photo of Arlington Historical Museum)

Join the Arlington Historical Society

Navigate to the Officers, Directors, and Committee Chairs section

Board - Officers, Directors, and Committee Chairs

Learn about events and places in Arlington’s history
  • Snapshots of history
  • Sites and properties
  • Magazine
  • Links to resources
  • Shop at our store and give a piece of Arlington to someone special

    Navigate to Today in History

    Today in History - Check Out Our New Feature


    You are here: Home > Learn > Sites and properties > Community-use

    Community-use structures

    ARLINGTON POST OFFICE (1937) Map

    Site to see

    3118 Washington Boulevard

    Arlington Post Office and its cornerstone

    In the first half of the 20th century, Arlington County changed from a handful of separate neighborhoods to a cohesive community with its own identiy and government. The establishment of a central post office was a major factor in this transformation. Built in 1937, the Arlington Post Office was the first federal building constructed in the County. Lobby murals depicting scenes about Arlington history were painted by Auriel Bessemer in 1939. In 2000, it was named in honor of Joseph L. Fisher, former US Representative from Virginia’s 10th District. This building is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

    BARCROFT COMMUNITY HOUSE (1907) Map

    800 South Buchanan Street

    This building is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

    CARLIN COMMUNITY HALL (1892) Map

    Site to see

    5711 South 4th Street

    This building is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

    CHERRYDALE VOLUNTEER FIREHOUSE Map

    Site to see

    3900 Lee Highway

    The Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Department was the first fire company in Arlington County. Formed in 1898 and officially established in 1904, it originally consisted of 10 leather buckets, a ladder, and spirited volunteers. A community fundraising effort, including a contribution from U. S. President Woodrow Wilson, resulted in the construction of the Cherrydale Firehouse in 1921. The masonry building became the first permanent firehouse in the County and has continually served the Cherrydale neighborhood as a center for social and community activities. The Cherrydale Firehouse is a designated Arlington County Landmark and listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

    CLARENDON CITIZENS HALL (1921) Map

    Site to see

    3211 Wilson Boulevard

    Clarendon Citizens Hall

     

    Arlington Historical Society
    P.O. Box 100402, Arlington, Virginia 22210-3402

    Send us e-mail at info@ArlingtonHistoricalSociety.org or give us a ring at 703/892-4204.

    Subscribe to our e-mail announcement list:
    (follow Yahoo sign-up instructions)

    Your name and e-mail address will NOT be used for anything but AHS meeting and event announcements. See our Privacy Policy for more detail.