Wilson Boulevard at North Courthouse Road
Here the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861, crossed the Georgetown-Falls
Church road. 100 yards to the northwest stood Fort Morton, a lunette with a perimeter
of 250 yards and emplacements for 17 guns; 100 yards to the southeast stood Fort
Woodbury, a lunette with a perimeter of 275 yards and emplacements for 13 guns.
Abingdon Street at South 30th Road
Here stood Battery Garesche, constructed late in 1861 to control the higher
ground dominating Fort Reynolds, 200 yards to the southeast. It had a perimeter
of 166 yards and emplacements for 8 guns.
Wilson Boulevard at North Manchester Street
In August 1861, while U.S. forces were constructing the Arlington Line three
miles to the east, the Confederates established a fortified outpost on the high
ground about 200 yards west of here, to guard the bridge by which the Georgetown-Falls
Church road crossed Four Mile Run. In October they withdrew to Fairfax Court House.
The Federals then established a signal station at the top of the hill and constructed
Fort Ramsay just across the County line.
Ft. Albany marker, Sept. 15, 2001
Junction of South Arlington Ridge Road and South Nash
Immediately to the northwest stood Fort Albany, a bastioned earthwork built
in May, 1861, to command the approach to the Long Bridge by way of the Columbia
Turnpike. It had a perimeter of 429 yards and emplacements for 12 guns. Even after
Forts Richardson and Craig were built, 1300 yards to the west and north respectively,
the heavy guns of Fort Albany served to support them, and to dominate them if
they were captured. The ground on which the Fort stood was cut away during the
construction of the Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway, in 1942.
View from Ft. Albany marker toward the
Pentagon, Sept. 15, 2001
FORT ETHAN ALLEN
3829 North Stafford Street
This embankment was the south face of Fort Ethan Allen, a bàstioned
earthwork built in September 1861, to command all the approaches to Chain Bridge
south of Pimmit Run. The Fort had a perimeter of 736 yards, with emplacements
for 39 guns. The embankments which still remain were the south face, less the
west bastion; an interior bombproof shelter for protection against artillery fire
from Halls Hill; the magazine and guardhouse near the north face; and a part
of the east face.
South Pollard Street and Walter Reed Drive at the Fort Barnard Recreation Center
Here stood Fort Barnard, a redoubt constructed late in 1861 to command the
approaches to Alexandria by way of Four Mile Run and Glebe Road. It was named
for General J. G. Barnard, Chief Engineer of the Defenses of Washington. It had
a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 20 guns.
1600 block of North 22nd Street
Here stood Fort Bennett, a small outwork of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May
1861. With a perimeter of 146 yards and emplacements for 5 guns, it was designed
to bring under fire the slope northwest of Fort Corcoran, which could not be seen
Glebe Road at South 17th Street and Walter Reed Drive
Immediately to the west stood Fort Berry, a redoubt constructed in 1863 at
the north flank of the defenses of Alexandria, but also flanking the Columbia
Turnpike and the Arlington Line constructed in 1861. It had a perimeter of 215
yards and emplacements for 10 guns.
Arlington Boulevard at North 10th Street (near the Ft.
Myer horse paddock)
Just to the south stood Fort Cass, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed
in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 288 yards and emplacements for 13 guns.
South Courthouse Road at South 4th Street
Here stood Fort Craig, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in August
1861. It had a perimeter of 324 yards and emplacements for 11 guns.
Key Boulevard at North Ode Street
Here beside the Georgetown-Falls Church road stood Fort Corcoran, a bastioned
earthwork built in May 1861 to command all the approaches to the Aqueduct Bridge.
It had a perimeter of 576 yards and emplacements for 10 guns. It was dominated
by the higher ground to the west and was relegated to a supporting role when the
Arlington Line was built 1000 yards farther west in August 1861.
Wilson Boulevard at North Arlington Ridge Road
Here beside the Georgetown-Alexandria road stood Fort Haggerty, a small outwork
of Fort Corcoran, constructed in May 1861. With a perimeter of 128 yards and emplacements
for 4 guns, it was designed to bring under fire the slope south of Fort Corcoran,
which could not be seen from there.
FORT MYER HISTORIC DISTRICT
Arlington Boulevard (US Rt. 50) at North Pershing Drive
This fort is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Fort Reynolds Park, South 31st Street, east of South Woodrow
Here stood Fort Reynolds, a redoubt constructed in September 1861, to command
the approach to Alexandria by way of the valley of Four Mile Run. It. had a perimeter
of 360 yards and emplacements for 12 guns.
South 18th Street off Glebe Road
Here is what is left of Fort Richardson, a detached redoubt constructed in
September 1861 to cover the left flank of the newly built Arlington defense line,
It was named for General Israel B. Richardson, whose division was then deployed
to defend against attack by way of Columbia Turnpike. It had a perimeter of 316
yards and emplacements for 15 guns.
Boundary Channel Drive at Old Jefferson Davis Highway
A half-mile to the southwest stood Fort Runyon, a large bastioned earthwork
constructed in May 1861 to protect the Long Bridge over the Potomac. Its perimeter,
1,484 yards, was about the same as that of the Pentagon. After the construction
of the Arlington Line two miles to the west, Fort Runyon fell into disuse. Nearby
Fort Jackson, at the Virginia end of the Long Bridge, was no more than a checkpoint
to control traffic on the bridge and protect it from sabotage.
View from Ft. Scott toward the Potomac
Fort Scott Drive entrance to the Fort Scott Recreation
Here stood a detached lunette constructed in May 1861 to guard the south flank
of the defenses of Washington and named for General Winfield Scott, then General-in-Chief
of the Army. It was subsequently relegated to an interior position by the construction
of the defenses of Alexandria about 1/4 miles to the west. The Fort had a perimeter
of 313 yards and emplacements for 8 guns. A remnant portion may be found immediately
to the west.
FORT C. F. SMITH HISTORIC DISTRICT
Near 2411 North 24th Street
Just to the north are the remains of Fort C. F. Smith, a lunette built early
in 1863 to command the high ground north of Spout Run and protect the flank of
the Arlington Line. It had a perimeter of 368 yards and emplacements for 22 guns.
This district is a designated Arlington County Landmark and is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places.
Lee Highway at North Adams Street
Nearby to the north stood Fort Strong, a lunette marking the north end of the
Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 318 yards and
emplacements for 15 guns.
Arlington Boulevard at North 2nd Street
Here stood Fort Tillinghast, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in
August 1861. It had a perimeter of 298 yards and emplacements for 13 guns. A model
of this fort, typical of all lunettes in the Arlington Line, can be seen at the
Hume School museum of the Arlington
Arlington Boulevard at Pershing Drive, near entrance to
On the high ground to the northeast stood Fort Whipple, a bastioned earthwork
built early in 1863 to support the Arlington Line built in 1861. It had a perimeter
of 640 yards and emplacements for 47 guns. After the War, Fort Whipple was maintained
as a permanent military post. In 1880 the name was changed to Fort Myer In honor
of General Albert J. Myer, former post commander and first Chief Signal Officer
of the United States Army.
North Courthouse Road at North 14th Street
Immediately behind the present Court House stood Fort Woodbury, a Iunette in
the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 275 yards
and 19 emplacements for 13 guns. It was named for Major D.P. Woodbury, the Engineer
who designed and constructed the Arlington Line.
Williamsburg Boulevard at North Powhatan Street
To the northwest is Minors Hill, so called for George Minor who lived
on the far side at the time of the Revolution. It is the highest elevation in
the County. In the fall of 1861 it was the site of a Confederate outpost. Afterwards
there was a Federal signal station at the top of the hill. Here at the foot of
the hill was a large cantonment housing the reserve force supporting the Federal
outposts in Fairfax County.
PENTAGON OFFICE BUILDING COMPLEX
Jefferson Davis Highway/Virginia Rt. 110
This building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
View from the
Pentagon to Washington over the Potomac
QUARTERS 1, FORT MYER
Grant Avenue on Ft. Myer (Arlington Boulevard/US Rt. 50
at North Pershing Drive)
This building listed on the National Register of Historic Places.