Arlington Historical Society (photo of Arlington Historical Museum)

Join the Arlington Historical Society

Navigate to the Officers, Directors, and Committee Chairs section

Board - Officers, Directors, and Committee Chairs

Learn about events and places in Arlington’s history
  • Snapshots of history
  • Sites and properties
  • Magazine
  • Links to resources
  • Shop at our store and give a piece of Arlington to someone special

    Navigate to Today in History

    Today in History - Check Out Our New Feature


    You are here: Home > Learn > Sites and properties > People

    People

    MOSES BALL GRANT Map

    Sign only

    Entrance to Northern Virginia Doctor’s Hospital and South Carlin Springs Road near bus shelter

    Moses Ball (1717-1792), the ancestor of generations of prominent Arlingtonians, received a 91-acre grant on this land from Lord Fairfax in 1748. The property remained in the Ball family until 1818. It is thought that Bail built his home on a rise north of the existing spring about 200 yards east of this marker. George Washington, who owned an adjacent tract of land south of Four Mile Run, surveyed his tract on April 22, 1785, in company with Moses Ball.

    CLAY AND RANDOLPH DUEL
    (Commonwealth of Virginia marker)

    Sign only

    Route 123, near Fairfax County line

    Near here Henry Clay and John Randolph of Roanoke fought a duel April 8, 1826. Randolph had called Clay a "blackleg" in a speech. Both men were unhurt, but Randolph's coat was pierced by a bullet.

    NECOSTIN INDIANS Map

    Sign only

    At parking lot at Roosevelt Island

    The Indians living in this area when Captain John Smith explored the Potomac in 1608 were late woodland period Necostins of Algonquian-speaking stock. Smith’s map located a small village called Nameroughquena in what is now Arlington. In 1670 Theodore Roosevelt island was known as “Anacostie’s lie” — the island of the Necostins. Not long after, the Indians moved away as settlement by Europeans encroached upon their fields, hunting and fishing grounds. Traces of even earlier Indian cultures have been found throughout the area.

    GEORGE NICHOLAS SEAGMULLER, 1847-1934 Map

    Sign only

    5115 Little Falls Road

    Seagmuller, a native of Germany, came to America at 23 and achieved success as an inventor and manufacturer of scientific instruments. He lived here at Reserve Hill, the home of his parents-in-law, the Vandenbergs, and contributed in many ways to the development of this part of the county. He advanced funds in 1890 for a much-needed school which was named in his honor and which was replaced in 1937 by James Madison School. He was chairman of the County Board of Supervisors and was influential in locating the County Court House at its present site in 1898. He completed construction of this mansion in 1903. Its stone water tower is a replica of a tower in the walls of Nuremberg.

    Arlington Historical Society
    P.O. Box 100402, Arlington, Virginia 22210-3402

    Send us e-mail at info@ArlingtonHistoricalSociety.org or give us a ring at 703/892-4204.

    Subscribe to our e-mail announcement list:
    (follow Yahoo sign-up instructions)

    Your name and e-mail address will NOT be used for anything but AHS meeting and event announcements. See our Privacy Policy for more detail.